In order for CarDwelling to be sustainable for me, I knew that I needed to be able to do everything I might possibly need to do inside my vehicle.
And I can, whether it’s lighting up my stove and cooking “inside” during a storm, taking a sponge bath, clothes washing & drying (although I do this only in a pinch in-between my bi-monthly laundromat visits,) shaving, and, yes, even pooping.
The only thing I am unable to do in my car is to wash my hair.
I tried to solve this one day at the beginning by washing it in the sink of a public restroom one time –
With short hair it would be no problem, but if you have long hair, the sink will try to eat it and you’ll be trying to comb the dreads out for days. Oh, and the other restroom-users will glare at you profusely.
I have a gym pass, so if I happen to be in a city that has my gym, I just shower there. It varies depending on my location, but at the moment, I get a hair wash and actual shower about once every week or 10 days. In-between times, I rock out bandannas and headscarves like it’s the 70s.
My CarDwelling Hygiene Essentials:
- 3 gallon jugs of water (for cooking/drinking/hygiene; if they’re ever all empty it’s a sad day)
- 10 thin washcloths
- 2 towels (the thinner the better so they dry fast)
- A sturdy, high-grade spray bottle (this is the best one I’ve ever owned)
- A cheap plastic bottle for “grey water” (waste water)
- A roll of small trash bags
- *If you’re a girl and you’re planning on CarDwelling or VanDwelling, buy a shewee. Actually, if you’re a girl in general – regardless of your lifestyle – buy a shewee.
Most of my washing-up happens in restrooms at truck stops, Walmarts, McDonald’s, etc., but when I’m not in towns, it all happens in my car. (This is another reason why having good window shades is essential!)
Another thing that I knew I needed in order for my CarDwelling to be sustainable was to be able to avoid looking like a homeless vagrant. And I don’t look like a homeless vagrant, despite access to regular showers (except for maybe one or two days a month…but when I do, I totally rock that out too.)